Difference between revisions of "Tiago Fioreze"
|Line 50:||Line 50:|
Revision as of 17:22, 6 July 2008
|Title:||Self-management of hybrid optical networks|
|Affiliation:||University of Twente, DACS group|
|Supervisor:||Dr. A. Pras|
|Funding:||BSIK - Gigaport NG|
PhD project description
Hybrid optical and packet switching networks are composed of multi-service optical switches that enable forwarding of data at multiple levels. Huge flows at the packet-level (IP-level) may be therefore moved to the optical-level, which is faster than the packet-level. Such move could be beneficial since congested IP networks could be off-loaded; leaving more resources for other IP flows. At the same time, the flows switched at the optical-level would receive better Quality of Service (QoS). The transfer of those flows to the optical-level requires the creation of dedicated light paths to carry them. Currently, two approaches are used for that purpose: the first is based on conventional management techniques and the second is based on GMPLS signaling. In both approaches, the decision which IP flows will be moved to light paths is taken by managers. As a result, only IP flows explicitly selected by such managers will take advantage of being transferred over light path connections. However, it may be that there are also other large IP flows, not known to the manager, that could potentially profit from being moved to the optical-level. The solution aimed in this Ph.D. thesis is to add self-management capabilities to the multi-service optical switches and make them responsible for identifying which IP flows should be moved to the optical level and establish and release light path connections for such flows.
- Tiago Fioreze, Mattijs Oude Wolbers, Remco van de Meent, Aiko Pras, "Characterization of IP Flows Eligible for Lambda-Connections in Optical Networks", Proceedings of the 11st IFIP/IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS 2008), 07-11 April 2008, Salvador, Bahia, Brasil, ISSN 1542-1201 ISBN: 978-1-4244-2066-7, pp. 256 - 262.
- Tiago Fioreze, Mattijs Oude Wolbers, Remco van de Meent, Aiko Pras, "Offloading IP flows onto lambda-connections", Proceedings of the 18th IFIP/IEEE Internation Workshop on Distributed Systems: Operations and Management (DSOM 2007), 29-31 October 2007, San José, California, USA. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 4785, ISSN 0302-9743 ISBN 978-3-540-75693-4, pp. 183-186.
- Tiago Fioreze, Remco van de Meent, Aiko Pras, "An Architecture for the Self-management of Lambda-Connections in Hybrid Networks", Proceedings of the 13th EUNICE Open European Summer School 2007 (EUNICE 2007), 18-20 July 2007, Enschede, The Netherlands. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 4606, ISSN 0302-9743 ISBN 978-3-540-73529-8, pp. 141-148.
- Tiago Fioreze, Aiko Pras, "Self-management of lambda-connections in optical networks", Proceedings of the 1st Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security (AIMS 2007) Student Workshop, 21-23 June 2007, Oslo, Norway. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 4543, ISSN 0302-9743 ISBN 978-3-540-72985-3, pp. 212-215.
- Tiago Fioreze, Mattijs Oude Wolbers, Remco van de Meent, Aiko Pras, "Finding Elephants Flows for Optical Networks", Application session proceeding of the 10th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM 2007), 21-25 May 2007, Munich, Germany, ISBN: 1-4244-0799-0, pp. 627 - 640.
- Tiago Fioreze, Aiko Pras, "Using Self-management for Establishing Light Paths in Optical Networks: an Overview," Poster session proceedings of the 12th EUNICE Open European Summer School 2006 (EUNICE 2006), 18-20 September 2006, Stuttgart, Germany, ISBN: 3-938965-02-9, pp. 17-20.