|Title:||QoE-centric Management Through Cooperative Control Loops|
|Affiliation:||Department of Information Technology, Ghent University - iMinds|
|Supervisors:||prof. dr. ir. Filip De Turck and dr. Steven Latré|
|Start:||1 August 2011|
|End:||31 December 2016|
Niels Bouten obtained a masters degree in computer science from Ghent University, Belgium, in June 2011. In August 2011, he joined the Department of Information Technology at Ghent University, where he is active as a Ph.D. student. His main research interests are the application of autonomic network management approaches in multimedia delivery. The focus of this research is mainly on the end-to-end Quality of Experience optimization, ranging from the design of a single autonomic control loop to the federated management of these distributed loops.
PhD project descriptionThe Internet has evolved from a service to transport simple text files into a platform for transporting a variety of complex multimedia services. The initial centralized management systems were not designed and are therefore not able to perform efficient management of Quality of Experience (QoE) for these complex services. Deploying an autonomic management system resolves these complexity issues and allows efficient resource allocation based on the service type, end-user requirements and device characteristics allow optimizing the QoE. However, existing autonomic management systems only allow limited cooperation between different autonomic elements (AE), which limits their capabilities to provide end-to-end QoE assurance. This research will therefore design cooperative AEs, optimize their organization and provide cooperative allocation algorithms to optimize end-to-end QoE.
- Niels Bouten, Steven Latre, Wim Van de Meerssche, Bart De Vleeschauwer, Koen De Schepper, Werner Van Leekwijck, Filip De Turck. A Multicast-Enabled Delivery Framework for QoE Assurance of Over-The-Top Services in Multimedia Access Networks. Journal of Network and Systems Management, 21(4): 677-706 (2013)
- [Flamingo] Niels Bouten, Steven Latré, and Filip De Turck. QoE-Centric Management of Multimedia Networks through Cooperative Control Loops. Emerging Management Mechanisms for the Future Internet. Springer Berlin Heidelberg (AIMS), Barcelona, Belgium, 2013.
- Niels Bouten, Steven Latre, Jeroen Famaey, Werner Van Leekwijck, Filip De Turck. Minimizing the Impact of Delay on Live SVC-based HTTP Adaptive Streaming Services. Accepted as a Full Paper for the 6th IFIP/IEEE Distributed Autonomous Network Management Systems (DANMS), Ghent, Belgium, 2013.
- Jeroen Famaey, Steven Latre, Niels Bouten, Wim Van de Meerssche, Bart De Vleeschauwer, Werner Van Leekwijck, Filip De Turck. On the merits of SVC-based HTTP Adaptive Streaming for Over-The-Top Video Services. Accepted for the 12th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM), Ghent, Belgium, 2013.
- Niels Bouten, Jeroen Famaey, Steven Latre, Rafael Huysegems, Bart De Vleeschauwer, Werner Van Leekwijck, Filip De Turck. QoE Optimization Through In-Network Quality Adaptation for HTTP Adaptive Streaming. In proceedings of the 8th IFIP/IEEE International Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM), Las Vegas, USA, 2012.
- Niels Bouten, Anna Hristoskova, Femke Ongenae, Jelle Nelis, Filip De Turck. Ontology-driven Dynamic Discovery and Distributed Coordination of a Robot Swarm. In proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security (AIMS 2012), Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 2012.
- Niels Bouten, Steven Latré, Wim Van de Meerssche, Koen De Schepper, Bart De Vleeschauwer,Werner Van Leekwijck, Filip De Turck. An Autonomic Delivery Framework for HTTP Adaptive Streaming in Multicast-enabled Multimedia Access Networks. In proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Distributed Autonomous Network Management Systems (DANMS), Maui, Hawaii, USA, 2012.