Fetahi Z. Wuhib
|Student:||Fetahi Z. Wuhib|
|Title:||A self-organizing, decentralized management
layer for real-time monitoring
|Funding:||The Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research and
The Graduate School of Telecommunications
PhD project description
The goal of this research is to engineer a scalable and fault-tolerant management layer that aggregates, in near real-time, management data from devices across the network. Aggregation functions that are often used by management applications include sum, max and average of device-level counters. In addition to such simple aggregates, we want the system to support more complex statistical functions on device-level data across both space and time.
Our approach is to engineer a self-organizing management overlay, which can be seen as a thin layer of functionality that interconnects all devices/functional entities in a network environment. Such a system will be completely decentralized with all nodes having identical functionality. Each node can be used as an access point by a management station or an application server. The advantage of such a design is scalability and robustness, if done correctly. The monitoring functions will be based on distributed algorithms that execute on the management overlay. Concepts that can be used for decentralized aggregation include self-stabilizing spanning trees, DHTs and epidemic protocols. We will evaluate these concepts regarding their suitability for real-time monitoring and further develop them if needed.
- F. Wuhib M. Dam R. Stadler and A. Clemm. Decentralized computation of threshold crossing alerts. In Proc. 16th IEEE/IFIP Workshop on Distributed Systems: Operations and Management (DSOM), pages 220–232, Barcelona Spain, October 24-26, 2005.
- F. Wuhib, R. Stadler and A. Clemm, "Implementation and Evaluation of a Protocol for Detecting Network-Wide Threshold Crossing Alerts", 4th IFIP/IEEE Workshop on End-to-End Monitoring Techniques and Services, Vancouver, Canada, April 3 2006.
- F. Wuhib, R. Stadler and A. Clemm, "Decentralized Service Level Monitoring using Network Threshold Crossing Alerts", IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 44, Issue 10, October 2006.
- F. Wuhib, M. Dam, R. Stadler and Alexander Clemm, "Robust Monitoring of Network-wide Aggregates through Gossiping", 10th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM 2007), Munich, Germany, May 2007.
- F. Wuhib, "Real-time Monitoring of Global Variables in Large-scale Dynamic Systems", KTH Licentiate Thesis, TRITA-EE 2007:065, December 2007.
- F. Wuhib, M. Dam and R. Stadler, "Decentralized Detection of Global Threshold Crossings Using Aggregation Trees, Computer Networksl, Vol. 52, pp 1745-1761, February 2008, doi:10.1016/j.comnet.2008.02.015.
- F. Wuhib, M. Dam, R. Stadler and A. Clemm, "Robust Monitoring of Network-wide Aggregates through Gossiping", IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, Vol. 6, no. 2, June 2009.
- F. Wuhib, M. Dam and R. Stadler, "Gossiping for Threshold Detection", 11th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM 2009), Long Island, NY, June 1-5, 2009.
- F. Wuhib, M. Dam and R. Stadler, "A Gossiping Protocol for Detecting Global Threshold Crossings", IEEE transactions on Network and Service Management, Vol 7. no. 1, March 2010.
- S. Krishnamurthy, J. Ardelius, E. Aurell, M. Dam, R. Stadler and F. Wuhib, "The Accuracy of Tree-based Counting in Dynamic Networks", February 2010, Submitted.
- [_URL_ Homepage] of Fetahi Z. Wuhib
- Publications of Fetahi Z. Wuhib, as indexed by DBLP