From SimpleWikiJump to navigationJump to search
The term autonomic, like the term autonomous, comes from robotics and human related sciences.
- Autonomic management: Acting involuntary (on reflex) according to some predefined policies in order to keep the system up and running within its limits.
- Autonomic (in general): (a) acting or occurring involuntarily (reflexes) and (b) relating to, affecting, or controlled by the autonomic nervous system or its effects or activity (http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/autonomic).
- Autonomic management is sometimes used to refer to the set of management activities that take place in Autonomic Networks or Autonomic Systems.
- It also sometimes refers to all algorithms that automate management and/or control functions of traditional networks in such a way that they become more autonomic
Relation to Autonomous management
Compared to autonomous networks, autonomic networks are less intelligent and require a management interface.
- autonomous: (a) having the right of power of self-government; (b) responding, reacting, or developing independently of the whole (http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/autonmous).
- Yu Cheng et al., A Generic Architecture for Autonomic Service and Network Management, Computer Communications (2006), www.sciencedirect.de, Elsevier
- IBM Autonomic Computing, IBM Self-Managing Autonomic Technology, http://www-03.ibm.com/autonomic/
- ANA: Autonomic Network Architecture, http://www.ana-project.org/
Conferences and workshops
- MACE 2006, 1st IEEE International Workshop on Modelling Autonomic Communications Environments, http://www.manweek2006.org/mace/
- Autonomic Management of Communication Networks and Services, http://www.tssg.org/autonomic-netman/
- AMUSE: Autonomic Management of Ubiquitous e-Health Systems, N. Dulay et al, Proceedings of the UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2005, 19-22 Sept, UK
- Model-driven Autonomic Management (MAM), Purdue University, http://www.cs.iupui.edu/~ydai/AMSCS/MAM.htm
- Autonomic Management of Mobile Multimedia Services: 9th IFIP / IEEE International Conference on Management of Multimedia and Mobile Networks and Services, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 4267, Springer, 2006
- Autonomic Management of Large Clusters and Their Integration into the Grid, Journal of Grid Computing, Springer, ISSN 1570-7873, 2005