|(Underwater Networks & Internet of Things)|
|Affiliation:||Jacobs Univiersity Bremen, CNDS group|
|Supervisor:||Prof. Dr. Jürgen Schönwälder|
|Start:||1 September 2009|
Anuj Sehgal is a PhD student of the Smart Systems graduate program at the School of Engineering and Science at Jacobs University Bremen. His research is currently focused on the topic of constrained networks, with an emphasis on Underwater Acoustic Networks and Internet of Things under the supervision of Professor Dr. Jürgen Schönwälder. He is also a member of the Computer Networks and Distributed Systems research group.
He pursued his undergraduate education at Brigham Young University-Hawaii, HI, USA and then went on to work at The I.T. Pros, San Diego, CA, USA as a Systems Engineer. His interest in Intelligent Systems prompted him to pursue his Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in Computer Science, with a Smart Systems major, in 2009 from Jacobs University Bremen, Germany.
His research interests are are mainly in the area of intelligent systems with a focus on underwater acoustic communication, wireless sensor networks, disruption tolerant networks, internet of things, computer vision and image processing, embedded systems, navigation and localization, marine robotics and computer science education.
PhD project description
Computer networks are finding applications in increasingly diverse environments and scenarios. Moving beyond the traditional domains, computer networks can now be found operating in scenarios such as industrial and home automation, medical applications, satellite and inter-planetary communications, underwater sensor networks and other challenging environments. The extension of computer networks to these environments has brought along with it new constraints and challenges.
The aim of this PhD research, tentatively titled "Management and Operation of Constrained Networks", is to investigate and develop approaches to improve the robustness and efficiency of constrained networks, while also researching methodologies for effectively managing such emerging networks. A part of the work is focused on improving the performance of constrained networks that suffer due to constraints imposed by the environment they operate in, e.g. Underwater Networks. Another part of the work is focused on investigating device and network management approaches for constrained node networks, i.e. networks on which constraints are imposed due to the lack of computational resources on network nodes, e.g. Internet of Things.
Only publications from the beginning of the PhD are listed here. For older publications, please refer to the complete list of publications located here.
- Christos Tsiaras, Anuj Sehgal, Sebastian Seeber, Daniel Dönni, Burkhard Stiller, Jürgen Schönwälder, Gabi Dreo Rodosek: Towards Evaluating Type of Service Related Quality-of-Experience on Mobile Networks. 7th IFIP Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference (WMNC 2014), Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal, May 2014.
- Sebastian Seeber, Anuj Sehgal, Björn Stelte, Gabi Dreo Rodosek, Jürgen Schönwälder: Towards A Trust Computing Architecture for RPL in Cyber Physical Systems. 2013 IFIP/IEEE International Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM 2013), Zürich, Switzerland, October 2013.
- Vitali Bashko, Nikolay Melnikov, Anuj Sehgal, Jürgen Schönwälder: BonaFide – A Traffic Shaping Detection Tool for Mobile Networks. 2013 IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM-2013), Ghent, Belgium, May 2013.
- Anuj Sehgal, Vladislav Perelman, Siarhei Kuryla, Jürgen Schönwälder: Management of Resource Constrained Devices in the Internet of Things. IEEE Communications Magazine, IEEE ComSoc, December 2012.
- Vaibhav Bajpai, Vitali Bashko, Catalin David, Siarhei Kuryla, Vladislav Perelman, Johannes Schauer, Nikolay Melnikov, Anuj Sehgal, Jürgen Schönwälder: Design and Prototype Implementation of the WattsApp Telemetry Platform. 2012 IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (iThings-2012), Besançon, France, November 2012.
- Kevin Dominik Korte, Anuj Sehgal, Jürgen Schönwälder: A Study of the RPL Repair Process using ContikiRPL. 6th International Conference on Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security (AIMS 2012), LNCS 7279, pp. 50-61, IFIP, Luxembourg, June 2012.
- Vaibhav Bajpai, Nikolay Melnikov, Anuj Sehgal, Jürgen Schönwälder: Flow-based Identification of Failures Caused by IPv6 Transition Mechanisms. 6th International Conference on Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security (AIMS 2012), LNCS 7279, pp. 138-149, IFIP, Luxembourg, June 2012.
- Anuj Sehgal, Daniel Cernea, Milena Makaveeva: Pose Estimation and Trajectory Derivation from Underwater Imagery. OCEANS ’12 MTS/IEEE Yeosu. South Korea, May 2012.
- Anuj Sehgal, Catalin David, Jürgen Schönwälder: Energy Consumption Analysis of Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks. OCEANS ’11 MTS/IEEE Kona. Hawaii, USA, September 2011.
- Iyad Tumar, Anuj Sehgal, Jürgen Schönwälder: Impact of Mobility Patterns on the Performance of a Disruption Tolerant Network with Multi-Radio Energy Conservation. 25th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA 2011), Biopolis, Singapore, March 2011.
- Iyad Tumar, Anuj Sehgal, Jürgen Schönwälder: Performance Evaluation of a Multi-Radio Energy Conservation Scheme for Disruption Tolerant Networks. 8th ACM International Symposium on Mobility Management and Wireless Access (MobiWac 2010), Bodrum, Turkey, October 2010.
- Anuj Sehgal, Daniel Cernea, Andreas Birk: Simulating Underwater Acoustic Communications in a High Fidelity Robotics Simulator. 7th IFAC Symposium on Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles (IAV 2010), Lecce, Italy, September 2010.
- Anuj Sehgal, Jürgen Schönwälder: Adaptive Underwater Acoustic Communications. 4th International Conference on Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security (AIMS 2010), LNCS 6155, pp. 98–101, IFIP, Zurich, Switzerland, June 2010.
- Anuj Sehgal, Daniel Cernea: A Multi-AUV Missions Simulation Framework for the USARSim Robotics Simulator. 18th IEEE Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED 2010), Marrakech, Morocco, June 2010.
- Anuj Sehgal, Daniel Cernea, Milena Makaveeva: Real-Time Scale Invariant 3D Range Point Cloud Registration. International Conference on Image Analysis and Recognition (ICIAR 2010), LNCS 6111, pp. 220–229, Povoa de Varzim, Portugal, June 2010.
- Anuj Sehgal, Iyad Tumar, Jürgen Schönwälder: Effects of Climate Change and Anthropogenic Ocean Acidification on Underwater Acoustic Communications. IEEE Oceans 2010 Asia-Pacific, Sydney, Australia, May 2010.
- Anuj Sehgal, Daniel Cernea, Andreas Birk: Modeling Underwater Acoustic Communications for Multi-Robot Missions in a Robotics Simulator. IEEE Oceans 2010 Asia-Pacific, Sydney, Australia, May 2010.
- Anuj Sehgal, Iyad Tumar, Jürgen Schönwälder: AquaTools – An Underwater Acoustic Networking Simulation Toolkit. IEEE Oceans 2010 Asia-Pacific, Sydney, Australia, May 2010.
- Iyad Tumar, Anuj Sehgal, Jürgen Schönwälder: Power Management for Sparse Acoustic Underwater Networks. 6th IEEE Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON 2009), Rome, Italy, June 2009.
- Anuj Sehgal, Iyad Tumar, Jürgen Schönwälder: Variability of Available Capacity due to the Effects of Depth and Temperature in the Underwater Acoustic Communication Channel. IEEE Oceans 2009 Europe, Bremen, Germany, May 2009.
The current IETF Internet-Drafts are listed below:
- Mehmet Ersue, Dan Romascanu, Jürgen Schönwälder, Anuj Sehgal: Management of Networks with Constrained Devices: Use Cases. IETF Internet-Draft <draft-ietf-opsawg-coman-use-cases-01>, IETF, February 2014.
- Jürgen Schönwälder, Anuj Sehgal, Tina Tsou, Cathy Zhou: Definition of Managed Definition of Managed Objects for IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs). IETF Internet-Draft <draft-ietf-6lo-lowpan-mib-00>, IETF, January 2014.
- Kevin Korte, Jürgen Schönwälder, Anuj Sehgal, Tina Tsou, Cathy Zhou: Definition of Managed Objects for the IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low power and Lossy Networks (RPL). IETF Internet-Draft <draft-sehgal-roll-rpl-mib-06>, IETF, February 2013.